Eye Level Malaysia Back to school promo
Join our Facebook Group
Shopee Ramadan Sale

Monday, November 22, 2004

The Art of Smiling

My daughter has got a smile that I can only describe as "Sunshine Smile". When she smiles, her whole little face lights up with such pure delight, joy, excitement, pride, happiness just like a wonderful ray of sunshine and I cannot help but smile back at her. She often gives me that smile when she accomplishes some new task she is trying and really gives true meaning to the term "beaming with pride", her face so full of obvious delight at her simple accomplishment.

As adults we have forgotten how to smile like that. Our smiles do not reach our eyes and sometimes we can even smile with a frown on our faces. We have also forgotten how to be happy with the simple things in life. We have so much to learn from little children.

Last night after I turned off the lights, my sweetie pie took my hand in both of her little ones. Then she turned my arm around and around until she found a position that suited her (I felt like an arm contortionist) and then she flashed me that sunshine smile of hers. After that she hugged my arm like it was a little bolster and gave my hand a kiss and I got another sunshine smile.

I am ashamed to say that at the time a fleeting worrying thought that she might develop a habit of having to hold my hand before she sleeps every night did cross my mind for a brief moment. When she was younger she used to grab my sleeve and muttered to herself until she slept but has outgrown that. As if sensing my worry, she let go of my arm, then shifted to her favourite sleeping position and smiled to herself as she drifted off to sleep. She was merely enjoying my company and I should learn to enjoy these precious moments instead of worrying about this and that.

I shall add this to my treasure box of sweet memories of being a mum and try to learn the Art of Smiling from my daughter.

Popular Posts