Eye Level Malaysia Back to school promo
Join our Facebook Group
Shopee Ramadan Sale

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

10 Things I Wish They Told Me Before My Kid Started Primary School


If you enjoyed and found this article useful, please be sure to Like Us. Thank you.

10 Things I Wish They Told Me Before My Child Started Primary School
10 Things I Wish They Told Me Before My Child Started Primary School

1. I'm going to be making lots of new friends. Yup. This one I didn't know. I didn't know that I would approach so many parents saying "Hi, is your girl in my son's class? May I have your number? How about we create a parents whatsapp group for homework?" Sometimes I was the one approached. (P.S. networking is very important to make sure your child is in the loop.)

2. I'm going to be filling in lots of forms and receiving notifications from school for all sorts of programs, extra curricular activities and donations.... I even received forms informing me that "your child has been selected to attend this special workshop because......" I soon learned that my child was not the only one selected. About 40 other of his classmates were!



3. I'm going to be buying a lot of stationeries. Sometimes it would seem as though I run a stationery shop. I have erasers, pencils, pens, rulers by the dozens. I also have spare tumblers, tee shirts, socks, shoes.... Losing stuff seem to be a frequent activity with my kids.

4. I'm going to spend a lot of time doing laundry. Even with three sets of uniforms for two kids, I have to do the laundry and ironing daily or they run the risk of not having any uniforms to wear to school. It is a juggling job, making sure shoes, socks and uniforms are ready on time every day.

5. I would become so indecisive. I thought it was bad when I couldn't decide which school to send my child to. SK? SJKC? Others? Now, I've become indecisive over many other little things. Which bag to buy? Trolley? Backpack? Maybe trolley? Maybe not?


6. I would get upset over something a 7 year old did. What?! He drew all over your clothes? She snapped your pencil on purpose? He stomped on your exercise books? And the list goes one. Bullying is something that should be nipped in the bud, so my antennas are always raised to spot a bully.

7. I would turn into a nervous wreck. This happens every time I receive a phone call from the school out of the blue. Sometimes it happens around parents teachers day too.

8. I would turn into a bus driver, a personalized on call transport provider. With 2 kids in 2 different sessions in 2 different schools, sometimes it can get rather complicated. "Mom, I have to go early today. Mom, I have to come home later today." At an age when memory is starting to slow, I have trouble remembering who to fetch and at what time.

9. I would turn into a detective. Checking homework, checking school bags, checking to make sure that projects are completed on time. After a while, I gave up checking. I can safely uncheck this point now.

10. I would start then run a Facebook Parenting group just to keep abreast with what is happening in the education scene. I spend hours taking care of my group. Yes, that is the ultimate I wish I had known, for me at least.

What do you wish you had known in advance?


Popular Posts