- Make sure your car is in full working order before you start your journey so you won't be stranded in the middle of nowhere
- Go in a convoy of cars with other friends if you can. It will be fun and you can help each other in case of trouble
- Do fuel up and watch that fuel gauge. If you use a particular brand of fuel, make sure you have enough to last you till you find another petrol station with the same brand. For example, you will find less Caltex and Shell stations and more of Petronas stations along the East Coast route.
- Plan your route so you won't get lost
- Book your hotel so you won't end up without a place to stay
- Use waze, gps and internet to help you get around
- Do make sure you have your smart phone charger around so you can charge your devices especially if you are using them for directions. However, do note that internet connection can mostly be found in and around town areas only
- Ask questions. Most people are really helpful if you ask
- Request for a map of the area or activities from the hotel you are staying in
- Bring enough snacks and water in the car for your journey. Sometimes you may end up eating your meals late
- Have an adventurous spirit. Keep yourself open to anything and everything and you will enjoy yourself more
- Get enough rest especially if you are the driver
- Bring along your medication
- Try local food but don't over do it
- Keep some plastic bags handy if you are travelling with kids in case they get car sick
- Go on a long road trip with very young kids. You will tire them and you. Wait till they are older.
- Park your car carelessly. You may end up with a compound!
- Quarrel with your travel mates, not even when you are tired
- Don't forget your camera or smartphone
- Don't leave anything behind
- Don't drink too much liquids if you know it will be a long while before your next stop
- Don't over rely on technology like waze. Sometimes the old paper maps are still useful
Below are pictures of our East Coast to West Coast Malaysia road trip. You can read about it from the following links:
|Kota Bharu, Kelantan|