Eye Level Malaysia Back to school promo
Join our Facebook Group
Shopee Ramadan Sale

Thursday, February 18, 2016

What am I going to do after my ICGSE / SPM / STPM?

Career Guide For Teens And Parents – Technical Courses
A Guest Post By Vyasa Kandasamy founder of CAD Design Centre




I have been asked quite a bit about career choices made as teens get to the age of 16 onwards, and start thinking of their future education. 

Very often they start making decisions on courses based on little input they get here and there. Perhaps from a friend or a relative, or a magazine article. Sometimes parents can't help much, as they are in a totally different profession altogether. For example mom is a banker, father is an accountant, and the son wants to get into the field of engineering, even more specifically electronics engineering. Parents cant do much, as they are not really knowledgeable about these technical fields.

I am a Mechanical Engineer, by training but I too got into my field by accident. (I also believe in the Law of Attraction now, but that is a different topic altogether :) I did my STPM a long time ago, and based on my results, it was mentioned by some career guide statistics that with my results, Mechanical Engineering would be the most likely course I would get. Thank god for that, as was i didn't really want to do medicine (which my parents wanted me to do :)

As I was applying I realized I had a liking for some form of mechanical engineering - as I liked to take a part things, and fix and build stuff when I was growing up. And I had a liking for car engines. So I thought "Hey, Mechanical Engineering would be perfect for me" and applied for the course to a few universities, and got into USM (Their engineering campus was in Tronoh). But throughout the course content, I did not get to even touch or smell a car engine! In reality, studying life was totally different, full of Maths, Maths and more Maths, and lots of physics and lots of theory. Hadn't I done a proper soul searching of why I went into Mechanical Engineering in the first place, undertaking this course could have been quite a disaster for me.

The fact is this whole process would have been much better, if I started to get to know about what I want much earlier in life, say 15 onwards. I would have understood the importance of the various subjects that were thought during the ages of 15 onwards, instead of just studying for it. It would make it a lot more fun to know something about the career path you are wishing to undertake later on in life, and it would have given a lot of meaning to the secondary school subjects.

During discussion with many of my fellow engineering students, I gathered that many of them got into the various Engineering fields by virtue of result and not any prior knowledge of the fields. I found this to be pretty interesting.. and what a waste of talent? What if students really knew about the various fields much earlier and get pointed to the right fields much earlier in the lives, and it would save them and their parents much stress and $$$$!

So here is a series of articles with videos I chose carefully from the internet, which I felt explains the field very well and in a simple way. Well, the articles are more technical related fields at this point of time, so be patient :) Currently, it is about the various Engineering fields and Architectural fields,  I will be adding more fields in the near future.

The links to the articles are below. Enjoy the articles and the videos!

·         Mechanical Engineering
·         Mechatronic Engineering
·         Electronic Engineering
·         Electrical Engineering
·         Civil Engineering
·         Chemical Engineering

Architecture
·         What does an Architect do?

Vyasa is the founder of Cad Design Centre. They work with Young ones, Teens and College Students in exploring the above courses early on, before they decide to step in the fields and incur a big College or University fee.  For the already studying University Student, the courses will give them clarity and an edge in the University. As the courses are much need in the workplace, it would definitely give them an edge during the interview and in the workplace.
                Read more here -> Cad Design School and it’s courses :> List of Courses





Popular Posts